Interim MS/HS Principal (SY 2023-2024)
Company: Mid-Pacific Institute
Posted on: January 25, 2023
*If you are interested in applying for this position, please
download and complete the attached Mid-Pacific Institute
Application Form. This form must be submitted with your application
to be considered for the position.* JOB SUMMARY The Interim
Middle/High School Principal is an experienced school leader and
communicator dedicated to perpetuating a supportive, engaging, and
high-quality educational experience for Mid-Pacific students and
faculty. To ensure this experience, the Interim Middle/High School
Principal works collaboratively with the Assistant Principals,
faculty, and other administrators to meet both student and faculty
needs, set and monitor progress toward identified Middle and High
School and institutional goals, and foster sense of community
between students, parents, and faculty. The Interim Middle/High
School Principal uses data in conjunction with the learner and
teacher profiles to drive decision-making in support of the
school's innovative educational vision and values. The Interim
Middle/High School Principal also provides overall leadership in
carrying out the school's education mission, vision, and values and
monitoring school operations; receiving , - distributing, and
communicating - information - to enforce school policies ; -
maintaining - a safe school environment ; - coordinating school
activities; communicating information to faculty; and addressing
situations, problems and/or conflicts that could - negatively -
impact the school. This interim position will end by July 31, 2024,
when the school transitions to a permanent Middle/High School
Principal. - ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES -include the
following. Other duties may be assigned. RECRUITMENT, SUPERVISION ,
- EVALUATION, AND DEVELOPMENT OF STAFF
- Together with assistant principals, - teacher leaders, and the
human resources - office , - hire top-quality faculty to ensure
that they are able to effectively carry out the mission and goals
- Ensure that all teachers and staff have a clear understanding
of performance expectations.
- Supervise and evaluate faculty to ensure that they are:
- Thoughtful and creative in creating and leading activities both
on and off campus
- Designing deeper learning experiences for students
- Creating authentic assessment opportunities for students
- Contributing to Mid-Pacific's mission, vision, and values
- Utilizing the learner profile and teacher profile as a ballast
for teaching and learning
- Encourage and support professional development so that
teachers, administrators, and staff continuously improve their
performance in order to enhance the student experience.
- Foster a - sense of collegiality through - effective and
alignedteam planning and decision-making across Grades 6 - 12 , -
involving the assistant principals and faculty in middle and high
school goal setting and planning . -
- Develop the leadership - capabilities of teachers so that
instructional leadership becomes - a shared responsibility.
- The Interim Principal models Mid-Pacific's core values,
commitment to deeper learning, and innovative spirit by serving as
"lead learner" by using the same tools, protocols, and platforms
used by students and staff. CURRICULUM/PROGRESS DEVELOPMENT,
SUPERVISION, AND EVALUATION
- Provide leadership for curriculum development, monitoring
achievement of course, discipline and grade level - curriculum
goals and ensuring that student - performance outcomes are
- Assess programs - against the needs of students , -
parent/guardian expectations, and school-wide goals to ensure that
they continue to be effective and reflective of the academic
direction of the school. -
- Working with the Vice President of Academic Affairs and other
administrators to ensure that the academic programs are aligned
with Aspirations 2035 and the school's response to the 2022 WASC
accreditation future planning document. -
- Continue to create alignment in teaching, assessment, and
pedagogical practices between middle and high school programs.
- Provide l eadership together with the Assistant Principal for
Student Life to ensure that Mid-Pacific continues to provide rich,
rewarding, and developmentally appropriate experiences for the
- Lead a unified and aligned student support program from grades
6 to 12, emphasizing a highly cooperative, student-centered
approach among Deans, support counselors, and college
- Work to create seamless transitions between the student
experience in middle school and high school.
- Continue to evolve and monitor policies governing student life
and promote methods that encourage self discipline and
self-advocacy skills. Support faculty and deans with discipline and
counseling. COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND DEVELOPMENT
- Perpetuate a - strong - sense of community within the middle
and high school and the school overall. Build upon an emerging pos
i tive school climate, where all students, faculty, and staff have
the opportunity to connect and feel valued.
- Utilize data to improve the community, staff, parent/guardian,
and student relations.
- Maintain effective communication between school and home about
individual student progress and school goa l s; involve parents in
- significant - school decisions.
- Respond to parent, staff, and community inquiries in a timely
- Identify opportunities to grow connections between school and
- Be an active supporter of the after-school and weekend student
activity programs and parent events.
- Engage parents in conversations about the school's educational
vision and philosophy.
- Facilitate conversations related to diversity, equity, and
inclusion on campus and amongst students, faculty, and
- Support the Admissions and Enrollment Management Department
with student admissions and retention events, reporting, and
programs. FINANCIAL & FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
- Work with the Vice President of Academic Affairs to ensure
sound financial management including accurate program budget p l
anni n g and fiscal accountability to ensure that the school's
resources are effectively and properly utilized.
- Monitor departmental spending and participate in the budget
process for the 2024-2025 school year.
- Collaborate with Assistant Principal for Academics and Director
of Student Records to optimize efficiency in hiring and
- Work with the Directors of Campus Planning and Facilities to
optimize the use of existing facilities and provide input to
possible campus master planning. - STRATEGIC WORK:
- Possess the ability to independently manage short, medium and
- Identify and prioritize work tasks in an effective manner,
ensuring that all project and/or communication deadlines are met on
time and in full.
- Work both independently and collaboratively to apply design
thinking strategies to small and large challenges.
- Confident in systems thinking approach to departmental, school
and campus-wide planning.
- Recognizes role within the organization and willingly
contributes ideas and energy to events across each school and
- Demonstrates and models an appropriate work/life balance and
encourages this with faculty and staff.
- Recognizes opportunities and challenges within the current
educational landscape and strategically sets and communicates plans
for campus and learning transition points throughout the school
- Communicates decisions and rationale in a clear, organized and
well-prepared manner. SCHOOL SAFETY
- Collaborate with the Director of Risk and Compliance to ensure
protocols & procedures are followed.
- Participate in the development of a safe and healthy
- Comply with the instructions given for their own safety and
health and that of others, in adhering to safe work
- Take reasonable care to ensure their own safety and health and
that of others.
- Report any injury, hazard or illness immediately, to their
Supervisor and Human Resources.
- Not place others at risk by any act or omission, not willfully
or recklessly interfere with safety equipment.
- Act as a role model by demonstrating safe work behaviors.
- Identify, assess if necessary, and control hazards within the
area of responsibility.
- Ensure that equipment/supplies are properly maintained.
- Maintain relevant knowledge of safety laws.
- Develop safe work procedures and ensure adherence to
- Ensure compliance of safety policies and procedures.
- Communicate safety issues with employees.
- Ensure that employees are provided information, instruction,
training and supervision that they need to work safely.
- Ensure that employees are aware of and abide by all relevant
- Encourage early reporting of incidents and forward information
to Manager and Human Resources immediately.
- Mandatory reporting of sexual abuse to law enforcement or child
protective services, and Human Resources. Sexual abuse includes
child molestation, any actual or alleged illegal or otherwise
wrongful sexual conduct with a minor, and serial sexual misconduct,
any actual or alleged illegal or otherwise wrongful sexual conduct
with more than one victim; and committed by or alleged to have been
committed by any perpetrator who is not a student of an included
entity. SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Directly supervises Assistant
Principals, Director of MPSA, Director or College Counseling,
Attendance clerk, and Administrative Assistant to the Middle/High
School Principal. In conjunction with Assistant Principals or Vice
President of Academic Affairs, oversees -Athletic -Director,
-Deans, 6-12 teaching faculty, teacher leaders, nurse, health aide,
and Directors of Student Activities. QUAL I FICATIONS To perform
this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each
essential duty - satisfactorily. - The requirements listed below
are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonab l e accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. E
D UCATION AND/ O R EXPERIENCE M i nim u m Qua li fic a tions:
- Advanced degree from an accredited university or college
preferably in an Education related field
- Minimum of 5 years serving as principal or senior-level
administrator in a middle or high school
- Minimum of 5 years teaching at the Middle or High School level
- Demonstrated leadership in curr i culum and instruction
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills illustrating
clear and effective communication with individuals of diverse
cultures, ages, education, economic and social levels
- Counseling and negotiation skills
- A collaborative leadership style
- Experience - in budget development - and fiscal management and
- Commitment to Deeper Learning and the mission, vision, and
values of Mid-Pacific Preferred Qualifications:
- High-level leadership experience at the middle or - high school
level - at an independent school
- Experience serving in an interim school leadership role
- Confidence using the Google Apps for Education Suite, Google
slides, forms, docs, etc.
- Documented experience approaching situations with fairness,
objectivity, and inclusivity PHYSICAL DEMANDS Our campus consists
of multiple buildings on 44 hilly acres that requires walking
including uphill, stairs and to fields for fire drills. May sit for
prolonged periods of time in a normal seated position and reach by
extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction throughout the day.
May need to bend; lift; and carry items. Finger dexterity required
to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s)
or arm(s), for example, using a keyboard and mouse. It is important
to see and hear within normal parameters and possess the ability to
move about with little to no difficulty. MENTAL DEMANDS On a daily
basis must frequently problem solve, make decisions, interpret
data, organize, write, plan, use various digital and educational
technology tools, and clearly communicate. The position requires
flexibility and the ability to handle last-minute changes or
add-ons and troubleshoot, calmly, in a fast-paced and potentially
demanding, and stressful environment. Both planned and unplanned
evening and weekend work may present itself due to unforeseen
circumstances and situations. EQUIPMENT USE Telephone, computer,
iPad, Google Apps for Education, Blackbaud Education Edge Database,
various virtual presentation tools and platforms - frequently
Copier, printers and other hardware - occasionally WORKING
CONDITIONS Indoor - frequently Outdoor, Loud Noise, Cold and Hot
Temperatures - occasionally WORK ENVIRONMENT Mid-Pacific Institute
-provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and
applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and
harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion,
age, sex, national origin, disability status, marital status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and
conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement,
promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of
absence, compensation and training.
Keywords: Mid-Pacific Institute, Honolulu , Interim MS/HS Principal (SY 2023-2024), Education / Teaching , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!