Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote, Americas - Hawaii)
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Shopify is a commerce platform with the mission to make commerce
better for everyone. We power millions of merchants around the
world, and we're just getting started. At Shopify, we ship on
quality instead of time. Our teams deploy new code many times a
day, and our production scale is massive. Millions of merchants
will see your work within minutes - a tough but incredibly
rewarding responsibility.Shopify has many critical components, and
sometimes they fail. Members of our Resiliency Team are the ones
ensuring we can get back to green as fast as possible when that
happens. This team will be setting the foundation for building and
running resilient systems at Shopify. This is a team of engineers
with in-depth operational knowledge of the entire Shopify stack,
who will act as first responders and leaders during an incident.Our
job is to get to a resolution as quickly as possible and guide
teams to build a more resilient Shopify. We will build the tools
and systems used to quickly resolve incidents, and will look to
automate away the manual toil.Commerce happens 24/7, and we need to
build a team that can respond whenever necessary. We are hiring a
distributed team to provide availability in the Hawaii Standard
Time (HST) zone in the Americas.
We welcome remote candidates based anywhere in Canada or the US,
but working hours skew toward Hawaii Standard Time (UTC
-10:00).What you'll do:
- Respond to automated alerts and execute playbooks.
- Manage ongoing incidents, using your understanding of Shopify
to involve the right teams and resolve as quickly as possible.
- Clean up the noise in our signals, ensuring we can get an
understanding of the system and debug a problem easily.
- Set the standards with teams for building resilient, debuggable
- Ensure we never fail for the same reason twice.
- Follow up on each incident to ensure the appropriate action
items are in place and prioritized.
- Help teams build tools to automate the toil of on call
- Based in Canada or the U.S, and willing to work core hours in
Hawaii Standard Time. There is also the possibility of relocation
for the right candidate --- ---
- You have experience handling on call shifts for
- You have been responsible for the tools and processes used to
debug and correct failures in those systems.
- You reject the idea that on call has to be a terrible,
- You are a generalist developer who is comfortable with multiple
languages such as C, Rust, Ruby, and Go.
- You have done hands-on development with cloud infrastructure
(AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker).Nice to have but not
- You have handled multiple on call shifts, and have navigated
more than one incident through to the retrospective process.
- You have experience working with a variety of open-source
software including nginx, redis, Memcached and MySQL.
- You have familiarity with network and web protocols, from IP to
Shopify is now permanently remote and working towards a future that
is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for
We know that looking for a new role can be both exciting and
time-consuming, and we truly appreciate your effort. Tasha is an
actual real live person () and is looking forward to learning more
about you through your application. And remember, we want to know
what you're really interested in building and why you want to build
it at Shopify, so please give us as much detail on this as you'd
like in the answers on the next page.
Shopify is now permanently remote, and working towards a future
that is digital by default. Learn more about what this can mean for
Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity & inclusion
enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We encourage
applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people
with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse
communities, and/or people with intersectional identities. Please
take a look at our Sustainability Reports to learn more about
Shopify's commitments to our communities, and our planet:
At Shopify, we understand that experience comes in many forms.
We're dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team - so if your
experience is this close to what we're looking for, please consider
#LI-KO3 #LI-REMOTE #LI-AH1
Keywords: Shopify, Honolulu , Senior Site Reliability Engineer (Remote, Americas - Hawaii), Engineering , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!