Cloud Services Engineer -
Company: Hawaiian Telcom
Posted on: September 14, 2018
1177 BISHOP ST, HONOLULU, Hawaii 96813
Starting Rate of Pay:
Depends on Experience
Org Marketing Statement:
Aloha! Welcome to SystemMetrics listing of current job openings. SystemMetrics is the leading provider of business-critical IT services that include data infrastructure, protection and backup; networking; colocation (both virtual and physical); cloud-based software solutions; and VoIP.
Our team consists of technical professionals whose varied backgrounds and deep engineering experience enable us to tailor our solutions to meet our customers' exact needs across a wide spectrum of industries. And our alliances with other technology partners ensure that you'll always be dealing with team members whose expertise precisely fits the required solution.
We are always looking for talented professionals to join our team and maintain our momentum in the Islands. Apply today. Follow the simple guidelines to apply for a position online. You will be considered with other applicants and the best qualified will be selected. As SystemMetrics continues to grow, there will be more opportunities, so be sure to visit this site frequently.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Cloud Services Engineer (CSE) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of systems hardware, software and related infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the cloud services platform. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational values, enabling staff, volunteers, and Partners.
The CSE will bring practical knowledge, technical depth and strong virtual computing and networking support to Advanced Services; firmly focused on the implementation and support of virtual computing platforms and associated technologies to support new product development, innovation and research. The CSE will also be responsible for implementation and support of various IT Security products and services.
The qualified individual should be able to work both in a cooperative team environment as well as individually to both virtual computing platforms and the associated physical environments for network and Data Center applications. Ability to provide support for customer facing engagements and Tier 2/3 functionality within both a development lab and production environment(s) is also expected. A strong degree of creative, "out of box" thinking, flexibility to expand oneself outside of the job description, attention to detail and self-motivation are required. The candidate must also possess strong communication skills to broker inter-department engagements and leadership ability to accomplish company-wide objectives. Additionally, ability to define and document complex designs and architecture standards is mandatory.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Engineering of CSE-related solutions for various project and operational needs.
- Install new / rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with standards and project/operational requirements.
- Install and configure systems such as new virtual server platforms per contracted terms
- Develop and maintain installation and configuration procedures.
- Contribute to and maintain system standards.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions.
- Perform daily backup operations, ensuring all required file systems and system data are successfully backed up to the appropriate media, recovery tapes or disks are created, and media is recycled and sent off site as necessary.
- Perform regular file archival and purge as necessary.
- Create, change, and delete user accounts per request.
- Provide Tier III/other support per request from various constituencies. Investigate and troubleshoot issues.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies.
- Apply OS patches and upgrades on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities. Configure / add new services as necessary.
- Upgrade and configure system software that supports GIS infrastructure applications or Asset Management applications per project or operational needs.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other procedures.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Identifies and works on a broad range of difficult problems, exercising independent judgment and using methods and techniques that are consistent with current relevant practices and policies. Proficient at anticipating or discovering customer needs; presenting options and solutions that add value and are consistent with policies, procedures, and business processes.
- Support and define the administration of Open Source Operating Systems, RHEL, Solaris, Windows servers, etc...and the addition and deletion of user accounts, machine builds and installs, file system and volume creation/management, hardware and OS additions and changes, system monitoring, planning and engineering standards, capacity planning and resource management.
- Troubleshoot technical issues with a wide range of systems and applications such as SQL, VMware, File servers, Exchange etc... Create process documentation and deliver training on various technical topics. Supervisory Responsibilities
This job will have no supervisory responsibilities.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; exhibits objectivity and openness to other's views; gives and welcomes feedback; contributes to building a positive team spirit; puts success of team above own interests; able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; supports everyone's efforts to succeed. Ability to lead projects as the business dictates.
- Technical skills -- includes product knowledge, business acumen and competitive knowledge. Continually grow industry related technical capability and increase market and competitive intelligence.
- Problem Solving - identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; gathers and analyzes information skillfully; develops alternative solutions; works well in group problem solving situations; uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; takes responsibility for own actions; keeps commitments; accountable for decisions and actions, commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; completes administrative tasks correctly and on-time; supports organization's goals and values; benefits organization through outside activities; supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; meets challenges with resourcefulness; generates suggestions for improving work; develops innovative approaches and ideas; presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention. Qualifications
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree with 2-5 years' experience required in IT related technologies, or an equivalent years of experience in a related field.
- Associates or technical degree with 5+ years' experience and relevant certifications, or or an equivalent years of experience in a related field. Work experience:
- 2-5+ years of experience in relevant IT technologies with emphasis on production support of high capacity mission critical enterprise systems.
- General understanding in the design and implementation of data center facilities consisting of infrastructure, hardware and software systems within Tier3/4 data center Standards, as well as, security, storage, and compute for standalone data center hosted applications as well as virtual and private cloud solutions.
- Strong recent technical experience with VMWare vCenter / ESXi version 5.1+ or other VMware solutions
- Enterprise Level Backup and Disaster Recovery Solutions
- Operating systems -- Microsoft Windows server 2, Linux (various)
- In-depth knowledge on SAN devices, scalability constraints and design.
- In-depth knowledge on server hardware, scalability constraints and design.
- General knowledge on network devices, scalability constraints and design.
- Background in blade server environments; Cisco, HP or Dell...... click apply for full job details
Keywords: Hawaiian Telcom, Honolulu , Cloud Services Engineer -, Engineering , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!