Director - Strategic Sourcing, Direct Materials (US - Remote)
Posted on: January 22, 2023
Job SummaryThe Director, Global Direct Strategic Sourcing is
responsible for leading a team of sourcing professionals to execute
on the Global Direct Material Strategic Sourcing Team's goals of
delivering value capture, reducing risk, and supporting
- Accountable for -$250-450M per year in spend crossing multiple
Avantor BUs / sites / segments.
- Collaborates with product management, commercial, R&T,
quality, and operations to develop and implement sourcing
- Develops, maintains, and executes project pipeline targeted
with delivering 3-5% of spend as value capture per year.
- Monitors category spend to ensure sourcing savings are captured
and does not erode over time; Responsible for spend control
systems, approvals and tools.
- Supports the budget process by providing IOP expectations for
direct material price inflation or deflation.
- Leverages market intelligence and analyses to identify
opportunities and risks, including but not limited to spend
analysis, commodity pricing forecasts, contract coverage analysis,
- Leads/mentors team with negotiation and contracting activities
in line with Corporate DOA.
- Conducts regular strategy and project execution reviews and
updates with BU executives.
- Supports NPI process by engaging with R&T to identify needs
and requirements and identify potential sources of supply.
- Maintains relationships with key vendors, and helps address
vendor related issues (e.g., pricing issues, performance issues,
- Responds to category sourcing requests in a timely and
efficient manner. MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:Education:
- BS/BA Degree required; Degree in engineering, including
chemical, or a related field preferred; MBA preferred
- Lean Six Sigma Certification preferred (yellow, green, or black
- Minimum of (10) years of total related experience required
- Minimum of five (5) years of related procurement, operational,
or commercial experience in the chemical, pharmaceutical or
specialty material industries
- Minimum of (3) years strategy, M&A and/or commercial
- Experience within a global matrixed structure preferred
- At least five (5) years of direct people management
- Strategic mindset and ability to execute hands-on
- Exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Can-do mindset, creative, solution-focused, and
- Ability and track record of managing complex projects
- Proactive spend control, spend analysis and strategy execution
- Fact and analysis-based decision-maker
- Proven contracting and contract management skills
- High level of interpersonal relationship management skills
- Highly organized, well structured, self-managed, clear priority
management skill set
- Ability to successfully work in an ambiguous environment
- Demonstrated strong negotiation skillsORGANIZATIONAL
RELATIONSHIPS/SCOPE:The Director, Global Direct Strategic Sourcing
reports directly to the VP, Global Direct Strategic Sourcing and
manages a group of 3-6 Sourcing Managers.Working Conditions:
- NA remote / WFH Position / "Eastern Time Zone Centric"
- Travel up to 20-30%DISCLAIMER:The above statements are intended
to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by
employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to
be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties
and skills required of employees assigned to this position.Avantor
is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.EEO Statement:We are
an Equal Employment/Affirmative Action employer. We do not
discriminate in hiring on the basis of sex, gender identity, sexual
orientation, race, color, religious creed, national origin,
physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any
other characteristic protected by federal, state/province, or local
law. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the
employment process, please contact us by email at and let us know
the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests
for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable
accommodation will be responded to from this email address.For more
information about equal employment opportunity protections, please
view the Equal Employment Opportunity is THE LAW Poster, EEO is the
Law Poster Supplement, and Pay Transparency Non-Discrimination
Provision using the links below.3rd Party Non-Solicitation
Policy:By submitting candidates without having been formally
assigned on and contracted for a specific job requisition by
Avantor, or by failing to comply with the Avantor recruitment
process, you forfeit any fee on the submitted candidates,
regardless of your usual terms and conditions. Avantor works with a
preferred supplier list and will take the initiative to engage with
recruitment agencies based on its needs and will not be accepting
any form of solicitation.
Keywords: Avantor, Honolulu , Director - Strategic Sourcing, Direct Materials (US - Remote), Executive , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!