Veterans Benefits Services Manager (West)
Company: Wounded Warrior Project
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Great benefits. Competitive pay. We know these are some of the
things people look for in a job.But if you're the kind of person
who also cares about making an impact and serving our nation's
wounded warriors and their families, then you're exactly the kind
of person we're looking for. When you join Wounded Warrior Project,
you're committing to making a difference. We make a commitment to
you too - helping you to find that spark, ignite your passion to
serve, and embark on a career with meaning and purpose.At Wounded
Warrior Project we recognize our mission cannot be accomplished
without our talented teammates, which is why we're proud to offer
benefits such as:
- A flexible hybrid work schedule (3 days in office, 2 days' work
- Full medical, dental and vision coverage for both teammates AND
- Competitive pay and performance incentives
- A fun, mission focused and collaborative team environmentA
mission that matters is just the beginning, so if you're ready to
get started, we're ready for you.The Wounded Warrior Project (WWP)
Benefits Services Manager leads a team of service officers to
assist warriors in obtaining Department of Defense (DoD) and
Veterans Benefits Administration (VBA) benefits. The manager
oversees the day-to-day operations of a service officer team. The
manager performs case/claims work with his/her team in addition to
fulfilling leadership functions covering training, coaching,
budgeting, and collaborating.
Job DescriptionDUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage a service officer team of local and remote WWP staff
members as they work to identify veterans benefits available to
warriors and assist and support these veterans by writing and
submitting benefits claims to the Department of Defense and/or the
- Lead the veterans' benefits services team as they serve as
liaison between the VA and wounded service members and provide
representation and advocacy for them with their benefits
- Manage an active caseload of at least 33% of his/her team's
- Provide frequent performance feedback to teammates to highlight
strengths and areas for development in one or more of the five
individual contributor performance competencies.
- Establish and maintain a team of knowledgeable service officers
prepared to address warrior claim needs across the spectrum of
benefit categories. Responsible for the training, efficiency, and
personal development of each service officer on the team.
- Represent WWP through public presentations at third-party
events in support of WWP or other opportunities to educate
- Build collaborative relationships with WWP teammates and teams
and partnerships with local representatives and staff of the
Department of Veterans Affairs and relevant military and community
- Lead the veterans' benefits services team to meet or exceed
established goals for timeliness and successful completion of
- Utilizing WWP process and performance data, report to
leadership the progress and outcomes of benefit trends.
- Stay abreast of current trends, discoveries, and medical
conditions pertaining to wounded warriors. Share information with
benefits services team members.
- In collaboration with leadership and the training team, provide
staff training and education to maintain teammate VA
- Manage budget, ensuring proper expense controls and accurate
- Other related duties as assigned.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES
- Strong working knowledge of VA and DoD benefits law and
- Subject matter expert in filing claims across the entire
spectrum of DoD and VA benefit categories.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of regulations, precedents, and
procedures related to the Medical/Physical Evaluation Board and
Veterans Affairs disability rating system. Experienced handling
complex case management.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage local and remote staff
members while maintaining high quality standards of service to
- Demonstrated understanding of relationship management and
partnering. Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with diverse
individuals, collaborate, and establish and build effective working
relationships with individuals in leadership and key community
- Ability to respond to sensitive matters with diplomacy and
- Strong presentation skills. Confident communicator, with
demonstrated ability to present information effectively to large
audiences, small groups, and individuals, and serve as
representative of the organization.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to
quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to balance and communicate tactical and
strategic initiatives of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability to establish credibility, be decisive,
influence others, and influence change.
- High energy level. Self-starter; willing to take
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of Wounded Warrior Project and its
mission, values, programs and services, and the impact of these
programs and services on wounded warriors and their families.
- Proficient using Microsoft Office, e.g., Word, Excel,
- Unequivocal commitment to the highest standards of personal and
business ethics and conduct.
- Mission-driven, guided by core values, and a pleasure to work
- Five years of veterans benefits advocacy experience as a VA
accredited service officer.
- Three years of leadership and/or management
- Five years of experience preparing, and filling veterans
benefits claims and providing representation and advocacy.
- Four or more years of leadership/management
- Bachelor's degree. Equivalent combination of education,
experience, training, or certification may be considered in lieu of
- NoneCERTIFICATIONS & LICENSURERequirements
- Department of Veterans Affairs certification as accredited
- None.WORK ENVIRONMENT/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
- General office environment; temperature controlled.
- Sitting for extended periods.
- May require lifting/carrying items up to 50 pounds.
- Up to 40% travel.We recognize the success of our mission
depends on the efforts of our passionate, hard-working teammates.
To help teammates remain focused on the warriors and families we
serve, WWP offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
Medical/Prescription drug, Dental, Vision, Life/AD&D,
Short-term Disability, Long-term Disability, and an Employee
Assistance Program. WWP also offers a 401(k) retirement plan, a
competitive PTO package, Sick Leave, Family Care Leave, Paid
Holidays, Birthday Holiday, Education Assistance, and Bereavement
Leave. For California, and Washington Applicants: The estimated
hiring range for this position is between $80,960 - $121,440 annual
base salary,subject to a candidate's combination of experience,
qualifications, and credentials. This position may also be eligible
for an annual performance incentive.
*ca-cwWounded Warrior Project is an equal opportunity employer
committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all persons
without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender,
gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship,
age, veteran or military status, disability, genetic information,
or any other characteristic protected by law.Please note:
Wounded Warrior Project is not seeking assistance or accepting
unsolicited resumes from search firms without a written search
agreement in place. All resumes submitted by search firms to any
employee at Wounded Warrior Project via email, the Internet or
directly to hiring managers at Wounded Warrior Project in any form
without a valid written search agreement in place will be deemed
the sole property of Wounded Warrior Project, and no fee will be
paid in the event the candidate is hired by Wounded Warrior Project
as a result of the referral or through other means."
Keywords: Wounded Warrior Project, Honolulu , Veterans Benefits Services Manager (West), Executive , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!