Company: REHAB Hospital of the Pacific
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Position Title: Safety Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Reports To: Director of Facilities & Safety Officer
The Safety Manager is responsible for managing the Safety
Department including Safety & Security Officers and PBX Operators.
Responsibilities include overall hospital safety, parking and
PBX/Communication functions of REHAB, and serve as back up as the
Safety Officers (Director of Facilities and Facilities Manager) in
their absences. Ensures adherence and compliance with applicable
governing and accrediting agencies' standards, requirements, and
regulations (The Joint Commission (TJC), Occupational Safety and
Health Administration (OSHA), Hawaii Occupational Safety and Health
Administration (HIOSH), Department of Health (DOH), National Fire
Protection Association (NFPA), etc.) and maintains documentations,
Serves and assists in Emergency Management alongside the Emergency
Management Coordinator by providing emergency management support
through coordination, maintaining and implementation of emergency
preparedness activities and standards including but not limited to
training, data gathering, and maintenance of regulatory compliance.
Available for 24/7 oversight and support during hospital
emergencies, incidents, and event response. Ensures a safe and
secure environment for patients, visitors, and staff.
Models REHAB's core values, HEART, in daily actions. Honesty -
Speak and act with truth and respect. Engagement - Embrace and
commit to our mission, vision and values. Aloha - Serve others with
a spirit of kindness and compassion. Resilience - Rebound and
recover with a sense of urgency. Teamwork - Work together for
COMPLIANCE & EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT COORDINATION
- Serves and assists in Emergency Management and assumes the role
of the Safety Officer should both Safety Officers be absent.
- Conducts and executes the annual hazard vulnerability analysis
(HVA) and other risk analyses related to natural (e.g. hurricanes,
floods, earthquakes), technological (e.g. hazardous spills),
man-made (e.g. active shooter or hostage situations), and other
- Develops, maintains, implements and ensures the emergency
plans, procedures and policies as it relates to disasters
identified in the risk analysis.
- Reviews and recommends improvements in the preparation for
response and recovery due to threats of disasters, both natural
and/or man-made by utilizing guidelines set forth by the National
Incident Management Systems (NIMS).
- Maintains emergency management related records and database for
compliance/regulatory agencies(i.e. The Joint Commission (TJC),
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Hawaii
Occupational Safety and Health Administration (HIOSH), Department
of Health (DOH), National Fire Protection Association (NFPA),
- Responsible for collecting, reviewing, and tracking data
required by local, state, and federal entities which are consistent
with REHAB's policies and procedures.
- Develops and maintains relationships with
partners/stakeholders, including internal and external community
members in regards to the organization, such as: the Hawaii
Healthcare Emergency Management Coalition, Emergency Medical
Services, Public Health, Fire, and Law Enforcement agencies.
- Identifies and maintains contact information for community
- Coordinates the efforts of Executive Leadership in the
execution of the Emergency Operations Plan.
- Oversees the management of a disaster response or crisis
management activities for the organization and the availability of
staff coverage needed 24/7, to respond to disasters or potential
- Provides updates of warnings and emergency data to the
Facilities Manager and Director of Facilities and leadership during
and after emergencies and facilitates as directed.
- Conducts preparedness activities to ensure a safe and secure
environment for patients, visitors, and staff and the protection of
physical property in relation to the emergency and disaster
- Keeps the Hospital Incident Command System (HICS) organization
chart current; educates and assists staff with their assigned HICS
- Performs assigned incident command role during drills,
exercises, and real world emergencies. Ensure that the Emergency
Operations Center (EOC) is prepared for activation.
- Collaborates with other departments to conduct emergency
management drills and response training, to include fire drill
testing based on required TJC intervals.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness and self-reliance to optimize
operations and use of resources, delivery of services, and
- Participates in the development of department budgets,
including but not limited to the emergency preparedness
- Makes recommendations on purchasing of materials, supplies,
- Coordinates the collection of organization-wide regulatory
required information, including but not limited to: department
hazard surveillance and disaster supply inventories.
- Facilitates the procurement and maintenance of equipment that
support Emergency Management to include disaster supply
- Coordinates Emergency Management Committee meetings as directed
and documents the discussion of the meeting.
- Participates on hospital committees as requested.
- Adheres to the NFPA 99 Emergency Operations Program Framework
for maintaining hospital emergency management policies.
- Maintains Life Safety, Emergency Management and Environment of
Care documentation for The Joint Commission, Department of Health
and other regulatory agencies.
- Implements safety programs and activities, including but not
limited to occupational and patient safety, fire, and hazardous
materials programs at REHAB.
- Coordinates emergency management drills and response training
for security and other departments.
- Identifies and recommends solutions to issues related to
compliance with government regulations.
- Assists in managing and ensuring that REHAB activities complies
with TJC, OSHA and other agencies' standards, including performance
improvement activities, in-service attendance and others.
- Conducts safety inspections, environmental tours, hazard
surveillance, risk assessments, hazard vulnerability assessment,
fire alarm inspections, portable fire extinguisher inspections, and
fire and emergency drills to ensure compliance with applicable laws
- Participates in the Continuous Improvement program and monitors
and reports data as appropriate.
- Oversees the emergency preparedness activities to ensure a safe
and secure environment for patients, visitors, and staff and the
protection of physical property as it pertains to security,
emergency preparedness, and disaster management.
- Maintains REHAB's safety programs, including but not limited to
the respiratory protection program, lock out tag, and fleet safety
programs, creating and updating programs as needed to maintain
- Responsible for the security of the facility, equipment, staff
- Manages a team of Safety and Security Supervisor, Safety &
Security Officers, PBX Operators, Safety Department Technician and
Safety Department Technicians.
- Continually evaluates for the appropriate level of security
staffing. Assess the cost, benefit, and effectiveness of REHAB
security personnel and contracted employees.
- Act as the primary point of contact to contracted security
- Addresses, responds to, and resolves patient/family, staff and
department concerns and issues.
- Evaluates and maintains REHAB's security management plan,
annual Security Vulnerability Assessments and all security-related
- Prepares and presents a Security Report for Quarterly Safety
- Works directly with Plant Operations to monitor key assignments
and regulates overall staff and patient access.
- Implements, enforces and monitors the parking policy and
equipment. Retains log of equipment assigned and personnel on
- Remains current on the latest developments in security
services, facilitates the adoption of industry standards including
NFPA 99, IAHSS, The Joint Commission, etc.
- Encourages workforce development and the pursuit of personal
certifications for staff.
- Manages the enforcement and oversight of security-sensitive
areas-patient health records rooms, nurses station, conference
rooms, admissions area, data center, etc.
- Investigates and provides information needed to complete
- Manages the enforcement operation for parking control.
Enforcement activities include, but are not limited to assurance of
adherence to all facility parking rules, policies, and
- Manages REHAB's parking program through the allocation of
permits, assurance of proper authorizations/approval of special
access requests, and management of citations for parking
- Identifying and investigating any misuse of access to parking
- Manages Telephone Operators.
- Manages PBX/Communications Systems to include:
- Systems and physical equipment
- Educating employees, patients and visitors on phone usage
- Maintaining an up-to-date in-house telephone directory
- Coordinating all installations and repairs
- Assures prompt, accurate response of communication center.
- Coordinates directly with the Plant Operations department for
any type of testing or scheduled outages.
- Develops and plans budgets based on the needs of the department
and operates within budget.
- Assists with regulatory and financial audits as needed.
- Manages assigned areas and supervises staff effectively and
- Hires, orients, trains, coaches, counsels and terminates
employees when necessary.
- Ensures staff are trained appropriately and maintains adequate
level of competency to perform job duties; develops personnel to
meet future requirements.
- Supervises daily activities and staff. Includes assignment of
duties, scheduling, utilization of overtime and managing
- Develops performance standards for areas of responsibility,
monitors, reviews and evaluates performance, provides feedback to
- Prepares, implements and ensures adherence to department and
hospital policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates resourcefulness and self-reliance to optimize
operations and use of resources, delivery of services and
- Encourages openness and a positive environment within
- Deals with morale and motivation issues.
- Provides support and guidance to direct reports.
- Plans department goals to meet hospital mission and strategic
- Provides leadership and promotes teamwork within the department
and with other departments to accomplish these goals.
- Communicates to staff, information from Leadership meetings;
keeps them updated of hospital and department activities.
- Develops and maintains effective working relationships with
external and internal customers to include patients, physicians,
other managers and staff, contractors and vendors.
- Participates on hospital committees as requested.
- Incorporates professionalism and demonstrates customer service
in the daily delivery of care through positive communication and
positive interpersonal relationship with internal and external
- Respects patient's rights and preferences.
- Maintains confidentiality of information during and related to
the course of work and performance of duties.
- Demonstrates commitment to quality services.
- Completes assignments within scheduled work hours.
- Accountable to start and end work based on designated work
shift. Demonstrates flexibility with work schedule as needed. When
appropriate, obtains approval from the supervisor for changes
- Observes and follows house rules and dress code.
- Attends and participates in inservices, conferences and
educational programs to assure continued professional growth and
maintains unit education record.
- Complies with and updates yearly skills review per policy and
timely completes requirements needed to maintain position and/or
employment at REHAB.
- Demonstrates competence with technical skill review of
procedures, treatments, and equipment usage.
- Keeps updated on hospital and unit announcements, including
updated policies and procedures.
- Offers recommendations to improve processes and/or operations
of the department.
- Participate in continuous improvement projects.
- Interacts openly and professionally while supporting management
directives and strategic objectives.
- Supports and promotes REHAB's mission, as a positive role
model, demonstrating a proactive approach to situations, and
practicing REHAB values.
- Able to remain calm in emergencies and high stress
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Be on-call and available to respond to emergencies
SCOPE OF PRACTICE:
The population served includes individuals affected by stroke,
orthopedic related conditions, brain and spinal cord injury,
amputation, major multiple trauma, and other neurological and
medical conditions. REHAB's patients range from pre-teen to
geriatric age ranges.
- Current State of Hawaii driver's license.
- Current BLS certification.
- Current State of Hawaii Guard License within thirty (30) days
- Incident Command System (ICS) Certifications: ICS 100, 200, 700
and 800 within three (3) months of employment.
- Incident Command System (ICS) Certifications: ICS 300 and 400
within twelve (12) months of employment.
- Bachelor's degree in Emergency Management, Occupational &
Environmental Safety Management or related field or an equivalent
combination of education and related work experience.
- Two (2) to four (4) years of experience in emergency management
and/or security services.
- Two (2) to four (4) years of supervisory experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to write accurate and complete reports.
- Strong knowledge of Security, Safety and PBX procedures.
- Knowledge of state and federal regulations related to safety
and security services.
- Knowledge in the National Incident Management System (NIMS) and
the Incident Command System (ICS).
- Knowledge of emergency preparedness principles, practices,
methods, techniques, and equipment.
- Basic knowledge of computers, including Google's G Suite
- Current State of Hawaii Guard License
- International Association for Healthcare Security and Safety
- Amateur Radio (H.A.M) operators certification.
- Associate Emergency Manager (AEM) or Certified Emergency
- Associate Safety Professional (ASP) or Certified Safety
- NFPA Certified Fire Inspector - I
- NFPA Certified Life Safety Specialist
- Certified OSHA General Industry Trainer
- Bachelor's degree in a related field or equivalent combination
of college level courses and supervisory experience.
- Five (5) years security services or emergency management
- Five (5) years of supervisory experience with demonstrated
- ICS & NIMS course completion and certifications
- Knowledge of The Joint Commission (TJC), (OSHA), HIOSH, FEMA,
NFPA, and HICS.
- Experience in a hospital setting.
- PBX experience.
- Experience conducting fit testing in accordance with a
respiratory protection program.
- Experience conducting road testing and driver training
associated with fleet safety programs.
- Experience in policy creation and development.
- Proficient in Google's G Suite.
EQUIPMENT, TOOLS, WORK AIDS USED
Standard office equipment and supplies including computers.
Computerized and written information, facsimile machine,
multifunction devices (MFDs). Telephone, cell phone, 2-way radio,
MA4000 and parking security systems.
Keywords: REHAB Hospital of the Pacific, Honolulu , Safety Manager, Executive , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!