Nursing Department Manager, RN Operating Room FT
Posted on: March 17, 2023
Sign-on bonus and/or relocation bonus, amount to be determined
at time of offer.
In collaboration with Anesthesia and Surgical Services (SAS)
management team, participates in developing, planning, implementing
of departmental goals and objectives. Assess, plans, implements,
evaluates and ensures optimal patient care is delivered to surgical
patients according to established standards of care provided during
all operative phases of process. Provides and supports functional
direction through effective leadership and Quality Improvement
principles to insure quality patient care and employee
satisfaction. Plans, directs, and supervises daily operational
activities of assigned staff in Operating Rooms. Serves as a
liaison between supervisors, physicians, nursing personnel,
patients/families and other departments to direct smooth
transitions of patient care activities during perioperative
experience. Coordinates departmental activities to ensure optimum
patient care. Directs flow of Surgical Schedule. Supervises
- Serves as coach and resource to staff by coordinating and
supporting team activities, encouraging and modeling active
participation and total quality principles and methodologies, and
sharing accountability for outcomes.
- Encourages employees to take action. Encourages cross training
through learning, sharing, and informal/formal training. Promotes
effective use of resources through continuous process/quality
improvement. Identifies and removes barriers related to efficient
- Oversees activities of staff in department to ensure that
optimal performance is met. Acts as enabler for successful
performance, by ensuring that departments have adequate resources
- Manages payroll and/or non-payroll budget. Monitors
expenditures and ensures compliance with budget. Promotes effective
use of resources.
- Collaborates with customer stakeholders in establishing
policies, procedures, performance goals and measures. Monitors and
ensures teams performance against same. Ensures seamless seamless
and consistent servicing of all customers. Serves as Teams customer
relations contact on requests for training, education,
presentations, and special projects.
- Collaborates with other teams on issues requiring shared
accountability or decision-making. Shares accountability for
- Contributes to team success by sharing learnings and specialty
expertise with team members. Promotes team play and motivates team
- Develops, establishes, and maintains inter-organization contact
with various groups, entities or department to insure adequate flow
of information and cooperation at all levels.
- Interprets and implements TJC, AORN, State and Federal
requirements recommendations within department/hospital and assures
- Delegates authority and responsibility to staff based on their
competency level and capability. Assists in daily review of staff
assignments and specialty assignments through collaboration with
head nurse and management team.
- Analyzes, plans, and makes recommendations for future
departmental planning needs, regarding physical expansion,
renovation and or expansion of services provided.
- Selects and maintains computerized O.R. Management/Information
System to evaluate, document and analyze O.R. utilization and
activities. Designs format and compiles.
- Controls and monitors physical and perpetual inventories.
Develops inventory control program for on-going evaluation of
supplies and equipment to control cost, monitor usage and assure
standardization where possible.
- Establishes scheduling practices. Monitors block utilization
and allocates block time to assure efficient O.R. resource
utilization. Coordinates scheduling activities with clinic
- Coordinates projects and service standards. Serves as liaison
in regards to O.R. operational issues when dealing with specialty
heads, workroom and systems assistants.
- Coordinates delivery of care perioperatively with Anesthesia,
O.R. Staff, Physicians, PACU, OP and Inpatient Nursing Staff.
Establishes inter-departmental standards and procedures to resolve
patient care issues.
- Manages and participates in department/physician research
projects to promote professional development. Advises management on
current technology as applied to O.R. Services.
- Establishes assessment programs to assure staff competency in
clinical, technical, and interpersonal skills required to be an
effective team member.
- Coordinates with Nurse Executive Team for implementation of
Patient Safety Initiatives within the Surgical Services.
- May perform patient care to the extent necessary to maintain
clinical expertise, competency, and licensing necessary to fulfill
job responsibilities and to direct the provision of care on the
- Provides direct patient care on an as needed basis. Provides
services that are within scope of license and in compliance with
all legal, regulatory, and policy requirements relevant to clinical
- Incorporates the KP Nursing Vision, Model and Values through
out their Nursing Practice.
- Hires, trains, supervises, counsels, disciplines, and
terminates assigned staff as appropriate.
- Communicates goals, objectives, accountabilities, priorities,
and authority parameters to assigned staff.
- Minimum two (2) years of supervisory or charge nurse
- Minimum five (5) years of related nursing experience.
- Bachelors degree in nursing OR RN with three (3) years nursing
License, Certification, Registration
- Registered Nurse License (Hawaii) required at hire
- Basic Life Support from American Heart Association
- Knowledge of healthcare regulations, licensure requirements,
and risk management principles.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and skill in adaptability, change
management, conflict resolution, decision making, customer service,
group process facilitation, influence, interpersonal relations,
oral communication, problem solving, quality management, systems
thinking, team building, written communication, organizational
theory, and leadership.
- O.R. management experience.
- Masters degree in nursing, healthcare administration,
education, or related area.
Job Category: Nursing Licensed & Nurse Practitioners, RN
Keywords: Kaiser, Honolulu , Nursing Department Manager, RN Operating Room FT, Executive , Laie, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...