Physician - Psychiatrist (Traumatic Stress Recovery Program) in Honolulu, Hawaii
Company: Department of Veterans Affairs
Posted on: February 10, 2024
The Psychiatrist (Traumatic Stress Recovery Program) position is
part of the VA Pacific Islands Health Care System. VAPICS provides
access to patient care to over 130,000 veterans across a 2.6M
square mile area of the Pacific Ocean. Remote Island locations,
separated by great distances of ocean, is the environment in which
the VAPIHCS delivers a full range of comprehensive health care
services. The VAPIHCS operates seven community-based outpatient
clinics (CBOCs) covering seven county areas. These outpatient
clinics are in America Samoa, Guam, Hilo, Kauai, Kona, Leeward, and
Maui. VAPIHCS is a Level 2 facility within the VA Sierra Pacific
Network (VISN 21) .Incumbent will provide psychiatrist services as
part of an interdisciplinary specialty mental health team,
participates in team meetings, committees, and other assigned
duties as a member of the VAPIHCS medical staff.
- Duties including providing a full range of psychiatric care,
including psychotherapy and psychopharmacotherapy, for Veteran
patients consistent with clinical privileges in psychiatry using
various modalities (Face-to-Face; Telehealth; Phone) as required
for the program.
- Conduct comprehensive psychiatric diagnostic assessments.
- Participates effectively in weekly team as well as informal
treatment planning conferences.
- Orders diagnostic tests and consultations related to
psychiatric issues and discriminates between normal and abnormal
findings and makes appropriate treatment decisions.
- Performs on call duties, maintains availability for
consultation as needed by TSRP, the residential PTSD Rehabilitation
and Recovery Program (PRRP), and Behavioral Health staff.
- Documents care in the electronic health record, including
regularly updated documentation of treatment plans, and
participates in quality improvement activities and peer chart
- Conducts evidence-based groups in collaboration with staff from
- Provides Prescribing Staff on Duty (PSOD) calendar coverage
rotation approximately once per week.
- Assists in coordination with in-patient treatments and
hospitalization processes, manages psychiatric emergencies in the
clinic including conducting comprehensive suicide risk assessments
and developing safety plans.
- Provides education and information to veterans engaged in
treatment and any relevant family members or care partners.
- Participates in the call pool as an Attending Psychiatrist.
Typically -5 weekends/weeks per year, depending on the size of the
- Must work effectively with a multidisciplinary team.
- Flexible mindset- willing to cover residential PTSD program and
Triage clinic on an ad hoc basis.
- When there is shortage of staffing, willing to help cross-cover
other areas within ambulatory care program mental health as work
week allows and as requested by supervisor.
- Provide training and supervision to psychiatry residents
rotating in TSRP and/or PRRP Programs.
- Must maintain privileges with Tripler Army Medical Center
(TAMC) to enable care of Tricare beneficiaries.
- Must have ability to use distinct medical record systems for
outpatient (CPRS) and inpatient (Genesis) care
- Participate in a Performance Improvement Project (PIP).VA
offers a comprehensive total rewards package. .Education Debt
Reduction Program (Student Loan Repayment): .EDRP Authorized:
Contact , the EDRP Coordinator for questions/assistanceWork
Schedule: Monday - Friday, 7:30am - 4:00pmPay: Competitive salary,
annual performance bonus, regular salary increasesPaid Time Off:
50-55 days of paid time off per year (26 days of annual leave, 13
days of sick leave, 11 paid Federal holidays per year and possible
5 day paid absence for CME)Retirement: Traditional federal pension
(5 years vesting) and federal 401K with up to 5% in contributions
by VAInsurance: Federal health/vision/dental/term life/long-term
care (many federal insurance programs can be carried into
retirement)Licensure: 1 full and unrestricted license from any US
State or territoryCME: Possible $1,000 per year reimbursement (must
be full-time with board certification)Malpractice: Free liability
protection with tail coverage providedContract: No Physician
Employment Contract and no significant restriction on
Keywords: Department of Veterans Affairs, Honolulu , Physician - Psychiatrist (Traumatic Stress Recovery Program) in Honolulu, Hawaii, Healthcare , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!