Senior Director, Circle Lead - Technical
Company: Travelers Canada
Posted on: January 12, 2022
Company SummaryTaking care of our customers, our communities and
each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this
commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best
property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join
us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives
on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do
it.Job CategoryTechnologyTarget Openings1Job Description
SummaryTravelers is seeking a Senior Director, Circle Lead / Team
of Teams Lead to drive the execution of technology strategies in
support of business outcomes in an agile fashion. In this position,
you will be accountable for implementing the technology strategy
and portfolio of solutions and capabilities spanning a medium
number of agile teams primarily with a single business unit or
product. You will apply technical acumen, knowledge of agile
practices and leadership in partnership with business counterparts
to effectively define, plan and deliver technical solutions that
support business outcomes in service to business strategy.
This position may be based 100% remotely or in one of our
offices.Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Lead, define, communicate and champion the work of a medium
number of agile teams (i. e. Team of Teams) working toward common
business outcomes generally within a specific business segment.At
this level, you generally:
- Lead 3-8 teams (less than 100 total people).
- Lead multiple business units or product lines/assets that may
- Lead Value Streams and/or organizations, products with
interdependecies with other systems/products.
- Lead less established applications.
- Work with most senior levels of the organization
- Review systems that may be used across the entire
- Are Involved in shaping Implement technology
strategy/capability and accountable for holistic application of the
strategy and roadmap for achieving the strategy, vision and
business outcomes; articulate the Circle / Team of Teams vision and
strategy effectively to teams and stakeholders; stewardship of
technical assets to ensure stability, availability, scalability and
- Partner with business Circle Lead to effectively plan and
deliver technical solutions that support business outcomes.
- Effectively drive, manage, implement and track one or more
portfolios of deliverables, features and capabilities as well as
'test and learn'/experimentation targeted at defining/refining
future deliverables, measuring performance, automating across life
cycles, and adjusting the overall roadmap of deliverables as
- Support the prioritization of interdependent team technology
backlogs, addressing risks and dependencies within and outside the
Circle to defined outcomes and ensuring overall alignment with
technology and business strategy; Make trade-off decisions to
balance quality, cost, and timelines to maximize value; utilize and
adhere to technology standards.
- Identify innovative solutions both internally and in the
external marketplace; ensure competitive and industry benchmarking
of critical technical knowledge and capabilities.
- Responsible for technical resource allocation, including vendor
management, on-boarding, performance management, and offshore
- Lead positive team dynamics, encourage collaboration and drive
appropriate levels of self-organization; Assess, utilize, and
partner with external resources and partners to meet agreed upon
expectations, as needed.
- Manage multi-team dynamics; remove impediments to teams'
success and assist in conflict resolution, issue and dependency
management; collaborate with other team members and neighbors to
improve team velocity.
- Build and foster collaborative relationships across other
Circles and with key partners (e. g. technology architects.
- Help grow agile maturity within and across teams.
- People-management responsibilities for technology team members
and may manage other Technology Circle Leads as well.Minimum
- Six years of relevant technology experience required.
- Two years of people leadership/ management experience
required.Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Five years of experience in an agile/execution leadership role
delivering technology solutions on a demanding schedule
- Three years of people leadership/ management experience
- Strong technical skills and a deep strategic mindset
- Proven analytical skills and experience making decisions based
on hard and soft data preferred.
- Strong knowledge of the Line of Business with the ability to
develop and leverage business and/or vendor partnerships, consult
on business priorities, and optimize value through solution
identification aligned with business objectives preferred.Job
Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Agile Mindset: Embody Agile core values of openness, courage,
respect, focus, and commitment. Infuse Agile principles, practices
and methodologies to achieve team success.
- Product Mindset: Focus on defining a product value proposition
that aligns with and supports the circle/value stream objectives
and which is the north star for the Circle.
- Change Agent: Expert change leadership skills including the
ability to create an inclusive environment, manage conflict and
develop solutions to mitigate risk.
- Influence: Ability to influence behaviors of leaders at all
levels and without traditional hierarchy.
- Servant Leadership: Foster an environment where individuals
thrive as empowered and equal members of a team.
- Communication: Ability to communicate thoughts, concepts,
practices effectively at all levels, adjusting as needed to a
- Collaboration: Expertise working with others in a
cross-functional multi-team environment.
- Continuous Improvement: Demonstrate a commitment to continually
improve, share learning with others and encourage team
development.Employment PracticesTravelers is an equal opportunity
employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual
brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in
numerous ways from our differences. -
If you are a candidate and have specific questions regarding the
physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we
may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above
or below the level included in this posting. To learn more about
our comprehensive benefit programs please visit
- Travelers has 30,000 employees in the United States, Canada,
the United Kingdom, Ireland and Brazil. > > Explore life at
- We have 8 diversity networks, employee-led organizations
dedicated to fostering the development and success of our
employees. > > Discover diversity and inclusion .
- Employees and their eligible family members - including
spouses, domestic partners and children - are eligible for coverage
from the first day of employment. > > Explore benefits .
- Travelers has been recognized by organizations such as Forbes,
Human Rights Campaign Foundation, and Military Times. > >
Read more about recognition .
- Our employees are valuable assets to their hometowns, giving
more than 100,000 hours of their time toward important causes each
year. > > Learn about community involvement .
Keywords: Travelers Canada, Honolulu , Senior Director, Circle Lead - Technical, IT / Software / Systems , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!