Laboratory Assistant -Patient Service Center Oahu
Company: Sonic Healthcare USA
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Job Functions, Duties, Responsibilities and Position
The Laboratory Assistant PSC (LAPSC) performs tasks to support
the laboratory technical staff in the areas of specimen
procurement, specimen processing and some basic lab testing. The
position is required to work between multiple locations (both
internal and external) on various shifts, often with little notice.
Must have excellent ability to interact and interface with a wide
range of colleagues, patients, donors and physicians.
- High School Diploma, G.E.D. or equivalent required
- Minimum two-years experience of proven successful Lab Assistant
experience, preferably with the Company or participation in an
approved education program with a focus on phlebotomy and
- Valid driver's license is required with an acceptable driving
record and access to reliable daily transportation to drive to
various customer sites
- Understanding of medical terminology preferred
- Computer data entry experience required
- Excellent track record working with physician office staff,
physicians, colleagues, clients and patients
- 1+ years of customer service experience preferred
- Able and authorized to work in the United States
- Reliable, dependable, and flexible to work at our various
locations at different times with very little notice
- Additional requirements may apply and change without notice,
including, but not limited to, criminal background check, health
clearance and hospital compliance training
- Successfully pass Company pre-employment drug test and periodic
and random thereafter
- Demonstrated and proven ability/experience in accomplishments
in all of our five core values:
Under general supervision and in accordance with Company
policies, procedures and guidelines, this position:
- Identifies patients/donors with accuracy to perform
venipunctures, heelsticks, fingersticks and other specimen
collection with proficiency without supervision.
- Successfully completes and maintains urine drug screen and
breath alcohol testing certification.
- Performs toxicology (i.e., urine drug) collections and breath
alcohol testing, per DOT guidelines
- Provides on-site or in-house urine drug collections or
- Labels specimens accurately and distributes them to the
appropriate department to ensure specimen integrity.
- Accessions specimens accurately into the LIS system using
prescribed laboratory guidelines.
- Processes specimens and prepares them for testing utilizing
various types of lab equipment.
- Track all specimen samples in systems for inventory purposes as
- Maintains phlebotomy/collection area and equipment with ample
supplies and in a clean and safe condition.
- Maintains adequate level of supplies in the processing work
area, where applicable.
- Assists in the care and maintenance of lab work area,
furnishings and equipment.
- Troubleshoots missing samples inquiries from other CLH
facilities or physician offices.
- Follows test requirements of reference laboratory and procures
appropriate specimen for testing.
- Assists in disposing of all laboratory wastes following OSHA
and lab guidelines.
- Adheres to safety, confidentiality, compliance, and legal
requirements and guidelines
- Maintains consistent and reliable attendance and complies with
company guidelines on attendance
- Conducts after-hour drug screen collections and breath-alcohol
- Has own reliable transportation to drive to client on-site
locations; will be reimbursed mileage at IRS rate
- Performs other duties as assigned
The following functions may be required at the manager's
- Act as backup receptionist or courier.
- Conduct DNA paternity testing
- Independently maintain operations patient service center (PSC)
or at phlebotomy station (IOP)
- Perform weekly inventory at site and place order with the
- Receive requested stock items and distribute them to the
appropriate place as requested
- Perform limited waived testing
- Pack and prepare dangerous goods shipment items to neighbor
islands and/or Continental US.
- Be assigned to work at multiple locations on various shifts as
required on short notice
- Occasional carrying, pushing, and pulling of objects; and
lifting of up to 50 lbs may be required
- Frequent reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching.
- Must be able to hear, see, and respond adequately.
- Frequent prolonged standing, walking, sitting, and bending
- Use of hands and fingers.
- Air-conditioned laboratory/medical office environment
- Frequent exposure to video display terminals.
- Frequent contact with water (hand washing and cleaning),
bio-hazardous body fluids, and occasional hazardous chemicals.
- Sufficient noise and interruptions to cause distraction.
- May be asked to work extended hours.
- Perceive pertinent details and verbal or tabular material
- Ability to see things from the customer's/patient's point of
view and respond in a timely appropriate and courteous manner
- Handle emergency or crisis situations with calmness and
- Ability to work effectively with others and promotes positive
- Perform arithmetic operations quickly and accurately
- Understand meaning of words, ideas associated with them and
their effective use
- Understand instructions, reason, and make judgments
- Effective oral and written communication skills, excellent
organizational and interpersonal skills, and computer literacy
- CUSTOMER-FOCUSED: Aware of customer needs; makes decisions with
customer in mind; builds strong customer relationships.
- COMMUNICATOR: Proactively conveys a clear, convincing, and
timely message; possesses strong verbal, written, and presentation
- PROBLEM SOLVER: Uses data and logic to quickly find solutions
to difficult challenges.
- COLLABORATIVE: Works effectively with others to accomplish
- TECHNICALLY COMPETENT: Possesses and maintains the functional
and technical knowledge and skills to successfully perform
- QUALITY CONSCIOUS: Delivers accuracy and precision in work
products; mindful of technical requirements, rules, and
- TIME-WISE: Prioritizes; respects others' time; adheres to
schedules and agendas.
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Clinical Laboratories of Hawaii, LLP
Primary Shift: Days
Sonic Healthcare USA provides equal employment opportunities to
all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits
discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race,
color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status,
genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by
federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment,
including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination,
layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and
Keywords: Sonic Healthcare USA, Honolulu , Laboratory Assistant -Patient Service Center Oahu, Other , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!