Container Yard Supervisor Part-Time
Company: Matson Inc
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Matson, Inc. is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the
symbol MATX. Founded in 1882, Matson is one of the leading U.S.
ocean shipping and logistics companies in the Pacific and provides
a vital lifeline to the remote economies of Hawaii, Alaska, Guam,
Micronesia and select South Pacific islands. It operates a premium,
expedited service from China to Southern California. Established in
1987, Matson subsidiary Matson Logistics extends the geographic
reach of Matson's transportation network throughout the continental
U.S with integrated, asset-light logistics services including rail
intermodal, highway brokerage and warehousing.
This position is to direct and supervise container yard labor to
efficiently and safely service the trucking community within the
container yard and the annex and to maintain operational
efficiencies via container yard standard operating procedures and
protocols. Ensure that autos, freight, and cargo are prepped to
move on the correct vessels and that yard conditions are optimized
to facilitate the maximization of vessel productivity. Manage the
operating use of the Company's container handling equipment to
minimize downtime (and damage to equipment and freight), and
maximize yard productivity. Assists the Honolulu Process Team with
the development of short and long term operational plans to improve
the efficiency and effectiveness of vessel, container yard and auto
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Directs and supervises labor in the container yard to ensure
operations proceed in accordance with plan. Rotates confidently
through a variety of assignments including, but not limited to, the
container yard and the process and equipment control team.
- Manages labor and machine utilization to achieve maximum
productivity to optimize costs. Responsible for labor check in,
start times, breaks and meal periods and machine availability.
Approves and authorizes bargaining unit timecards on occasion.
- Assists the Honolulu Process Team in developing and
coordinating storage, discharge, and yard plans utilizing the
Company's Terminal Operating System(s) to produce a comprehensive
terminal base plan, which maximizes vessel productivity and
minimizes gate turn time.
- Understands and administers collective bargaining work
- Continuously monitors the work area to ensure compliance with
Company, State and Federal safety regulations in order to maintain
a safe working area.
- Responsible for the enforcement of the Stevedore Industry
Committee Substance Abuse Policy Agreement.
- Investigates incidents involving damage or injury and prepares
accurate and informative accident reports to comply with safety and
damage prevention programs.
- Understands and uses Company computer software programs to
locate cargo/autos, change load status, and prepare work queues and
lists for container yard processing.
- Monitors equipment use and the lashing and unlashing processes
to ensure Company equipment is used correctly and safely with
- Maintains the proper level of concern for Company equipment to
reduce on-the-job damage and injury.
Performs other duties as assigned. The Company retains the
discretion to add to or change the essential job functions of this
position at any time.
- Must have, or be able to obtain and maintain, a TWIC card.
- Must have a valid Hawaii State Driver's License.
- Must be proficient with personal computers.
- Must be flexible to work day, night, weekend, and holiday
- Must be able to supervise, train, and motivate a union
- Must possess basic knowledge of safe workforce practices.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal, oral, and written
- Must be able to take direction/instruction from managers and
other union classifications.
- Strong ability to multi-task, plan, organize, and prioritize
with attention to detail and follow-up a must.
- A motivated team player who is able to work with a sense of
urgency to meet deadlines.
Qualifications, Education, & Experience
- College degree preferred.
- Strong first line supervisory experience and good leadership
- Familiarity with supervising a union workforce preferred.
Keywords: Matson Inc, Honolulu , Container Yard Supervisor Part-Time, Other , Honolulu, Hawaii
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!